lunes, 16 de noviembre de 2009

Self Evaluation of my academic year (2009)

This essay is for my English class, and it’s a self evaluation of my academic year. Like I’ve said many times in my blog, this year (2009) it’s my first at University, which makes this year special and very different from the past ones. In general my year was very good, not just in an academic way, also in a personal one. My grades were fine, I learned a lot; I made a lot of friends and loved the University of Chile. But let’s talk about academics, because when I was at school I didn’t imagine how interesting could be subjects at University.
This year I started University to get a Sociology degree. Like I said before, University is like a new world for me, with new people, new books, projects, challenges, etc. My subjects during the first term of 2009 were Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, Contemporary world´s history and Methodology. Beside my regular classes I took a circus class. My second term subjects were Latin American social history, Statistics, Social psychology, Methodology II, and Social science’s philosophy, which it’s some like epistemology. Beside those regular subjects I took a CFG (general formation course) about Basque culture, called “Euskera and Basque culture: the elder of Europe”.

At the beginning of the year I didn’t know a thing about sociology, today I think I know a little bit more. Some subjects like Sociology and Methodology, in my first term gave me an approach to what a sociologist do, things you can research about and how to do it. Certainly I loved subjects from my second term like Latin American Social history and Social science’s philosophy, because they open your mind and make you think and ask yourself about lots of things you hardly could imagine before. Even though I liked lot of subjects, I also disliked a few. Social psychology was a real waste of time; I didn’t learn anything that I couldn’t learn from common sense. Methodology II theoretical classes also where useful, it’s enough if you read your texts and do a lot of terrain job.

Well, putting all what I’ve lived and learned this year, I can say I love the “university life”, because I’ve learned a lot of new things. For now, I can say I like very much my degree; I hope I continue learning and that the passage of time doesn´t changes my opinion about Sociology.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario