lunes, 2 de noviembre de 2009

Sociology's current challenges

Hello fellows, today before midnight (in order to save Judy from becoming a pumpkin) I have to write about important challenges my discipline (sociology, as the rest of the class) is currently facing connected to each of the following areas: technology, social matters and education. I have to make clear (like I’ve done it several times before when Judy asks about our degree) that I’m only in my first year so I really don’t know anything about sociology.

Let’s see, in the technology area, I think the most current challenges are directly linked to statistic’s programs that make easier putting the survey’s results in digital files. Also I think technology challenges have to do with make new voice analysis software to transcribe interviews and recorder machines to (obviously) record them. The technological improvements are most than anything tools that makes easier the sociologist’s work.

On the other hand, talking about social matters, I see a lot of areas that sociology could have influence in but it doesn’t, like politics, Latin American situation, primary and university education, labor relationships and other things. Although, let’s talk about some positive things that sociology takes care of (talking about social matters) that is social stratification, gender matters, etc. But I’m not shore if sociology really does something in order to change situations. But that’s my opinion, so I feel that as a challenge for the discipline, but you can agree or not with my thoughts.

Speaking frankly, I couldn´t mention the specifically critical issues involved in the social matters and education area. And it’s difficult to give a verdict about how these issues should be resolved in each case. All I can say from my brief experience in sociology is that this degree has become super commercial and don’t care enough about real sociological problems, in stead of that, most sociologists are working for private enterprises that don´t care about people’s welfare because they just want to sell and get richer.

Well, it’s time to say goodnight. I hope you have enjoyed this boring post. I’m sorry to fill this with useless words but I don’t know what more to add. Bye!

1 comentario:

  1. Thanks from saving my skin Carla, i wasn't looking forward to turning into a pumpkin!!

    ResponderEliminar